Let me just start out by saying that you are the unsung heroes of this quarantine. While doctors and medical workers risk their lives every day to help save those infected with coronavirus, you are the ones who stay home and show your true heroism.
Before all hell broke loose, your motherhood job was already super difficult, but one you did with love and barely ever complained. However, ever since the lockdown, the magnitude of your responsibilities has increased dramatically and it is important that you know that what you’re doing is truly incredible.
It’s okay to go crazy and feel that you’re in over your head. But if you think your efforts are gone unnoticed, you are mistaken.
- You’re no longer just a mother, but also a teacher who has to ensure that the kids are up-to-date with their homeschooling and even doing P.E and arts and crafts, too!
- You’re no longer just a mother, but also are responsible for cleaning the house as you’re too afraid to get any help and putting your family at health risks. Instead, you tidy up and clean after kids who are constantly home, bored to death, and always making a huge mess.
- You’re no longer just a mother, but you also have to cook every single day several times as everyone at home is bored and over-eating. Most homes don’t even order take out just to be extra safe, leaving you cooking breakfast, lunch, and dinner all day, every day!
- You’re no longer just a mother, but you’re also the wife who has to take care of the husband who is not used to spending this much time at home. After spending an entire day taking care of the kids, you still need to have the energy to be the loving, caring, and fun wife as your husband doesn’t get to see anyone else.
- You’re no longer just a mother, but you also have a job to do, but no time to actually do it while juggling household tasks, homeschooling, taking care of the kids and the husband.
- You’re no longer just a mother, but you’re also the entertainer. After all, the kids don’t get to go out, do anything fun, and have so much energy! Who best to entertain them than their dear old mama?
- You’re not just a mother, but you’re a woman and you want to take care of your skin, hair, and appearance. But oh, hairdressers are closed and you have to do all that yourself. When exactly?
- Oh and let’s not even get started on Ramadan, because now to add to all that, you’re fasting AND you need to prepare proper Iftar meals starting from the soup all the way to Ramadan desserts every single day.
How you manage to do all that and still keep your sanity is completely beyond my ability to comprehend. But it is something you should be applauded for.
To every mother out there, the next time you have a meltdown or feel overwhelmed just remember that what you’re doing is truly exceptional. Not all heroes wear capes and you really have proven that you are a super mama and the true unsung hero of these difficult times.
Hang in there and stay strong. We’re in this together.